I want to thank Jessica at Mud and Stars for nominating me for the Siblinghood of the World Bloggers Award! I really appreciate it!
I received this nomination yesterday and – since I didn’t have a book for my Tuesday review – I thought it would be perfect for today! The Siblinghood of the World Bloggers Award will be my fastest turnaround of any award or tag. I am sad about the reading slump I am in, but am excited to answer Jessica’s question and pass the love on!
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link back to their blog
- Display the award on your blog
- Answer the ten questions sent to you
- Nominated ten bloggers for the award
- Make up ten new questions for your nominees to answer
- What’s you favorite thing about book blogging?
I love the book blogging community! Readers are great people who are super friendly and just the kind of people that I want to be around. In the two months since I started my blog, I have been pushed to read books I wouldn’t normally read. I read books differently now that I know that I am going to be reviewing them on my blog. I like my new mindful approach to reading!
- Is there anything you find difficult about blogging?
There have been quite a few ups and downs in my short blogging career. I am an introvert that needs to use a small part of extrovertedness in order to keep my blog interesting. Thankfully blogging seems to be well suited for an introvert! I am thinking about starting a vlog, but I am not sure if I am the kind of person who would be good at making videos…
I have a hard time staying consistently motivated. Some weeks I have two or three blog posts ready before I need them and some weeks I get up 45 minutes early in order to have SOMETHING to post. My goal over the next couple of months is to set up a better blogging schedule that will give me wiggle room on the bad days and take advantage of days when I have more energy to write. (like today!)
- What is the best book you’ve read this year?
The Martian is the best book that I have read this year! I did not expect to love The Martian nearly as much as I did when I read it. You can find my review here. Seriously, you need to read this book! I finished The Martian in less then 24 hours and loved every page!
- How many books (if any) have you DNF’d this year?
I decided not to finish 3 different books this year. Three doesn’t seem like a big number, but I very rarely decide not to finish a book. Since I have started blogging I set myself a goal of reading two books a week. Some weeks it is very easy to read two books and some weeks it is a lot harder! The 3 books I did not finish were books that I took longer than a week to read and made the decision not to continue. I have literally hundreds of books on my TBR list and I don’t want to spend weeks on a book that I am not enjoying.
- Which TV shows are you ridiculously obsessed with?
I LOVE this question! I have been fangirling over TV shows since I was in high school. Some of my absolute favorite shows are Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Trek: Voyager, Doctor Who and Supernatural.
- Do you do any writing in your spare time other than blogging?
I used to write a lot my senior year of College. I wrote two short stories and was working on my third before I was commissioned in the Navy and was sent to a ship. I have started a few outlines for books, but I seem to get stalled in the planning process. I am planning on getting my act together and participating in NaNoWriMo this November! I am planning on spending the month of October outlining everything. Even if I don’t get the outline worked out, I am going to write for a month anyways and see what happens!
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
Umm…I tripped waking on stage at a telivised event during the night when I was supposed to choose which ship I would be stationed on after I graduated. My salors on my future ship somehow saw the trip. It was awkward trying to be a brand new officer on a ship that knew how clumsy I was.
- What’s your favorite bookish quote?
“There is no shortage of good days. It is good lives that are hard to come by. A life of good days lived in the senses is not enough. The life of sensation is the life of greed; it requires more and more. The life of the spirit requires less and less; time is ample and its passage sweet. Who would call a day spent reading a good day? But a life spent reading — that is a good life.” ― Annie Dillard, The Writing Life
- Which author would you be most star-struck to meet?
I would be so star-struck to meet Orson Scott Card! Card is the pivotal author who’s work introduced me to science fiction and fantasy books. I found Ender’s Game in my Middle School library when I was in 7th grade and the book is one of the inspirations for me to join the Navy (along with Voyager). Mr. Card is one of my heroes and I would be over the moon if I could spend just 30 minutes with him drinking coffee and talking about books and adventures and life.
- Have you ever dreamt about a character from a book? If so, which one, and what happened?
The first time I read The Black Jewels trilogy, I dreamt that Lucivar Yaslana and I were flying around in the mountains and fighting bad guys. He was a great sidekick, or I was… Lucivar was enough of a gentleman to let me think that I was in charge.
- Victoria @ The Petite Book Blogger
- Whitney @ Brown Books & Green Tea
- Alejandra @ Bookish Unicorn
- Being A Creative Writer
- Wallace W. Cass Jr.@ Thoughts, Musings, and Storytelling
- Beka @ Beka Bee Books
- Nena @ YOUnfolded
- Stuart @ Storyshucker
- Thistles and Whistles
- Dani @ Dani Reviews Things
- When did you really get into reading? Was it at an earlier age or later in life?
- What do you like to do when you are not reading?
- If you had to live in any world in any book, what would it be?
- What did you want to be when you grew up? Did you become what your 6 year old self wanted to be?
- What is your favorite Christmas or Holiday tradition?
- What TV shows are you ridiculously obsessed with?
- If you could have lunch with any author or actor or mentor/hero, who would it be?
- How long does it usually take you to finish a book?
- Do you have any pets? What pets would you like to someday bring into your home?
- If I told you I didn’t like to read, but I was hoping to find a book that would change my opinion of reading, what book would you recommend to me?
Thanks guys! I hope you enjoyed my answers and that the people I nominated have fun answering my new questions!